A car accident can change your life in an instant. You might be facing physical injuries, loss of wages, medical bills, emotional stress and more questions than you can answer. No matter what situation you are in, your priority is to make a swift and full recovery. When it comes to car accident lawsuits, the sooner you act, the better your chances are of a positive outcome
At Jaroslawicz & Jaros, our New York City attorneys always inform our clients how to move forward through the legal process in order to obtain the compensation they deserve.
The questions that arise after a car accident can be overwhelming. You may not know what the next step is, or where to turn, or how to make a claim for your damages and injuries. With more than 300 years of collective legal experience the car accident lawyers at Jaroslawicz & Jaros have extensive knowledge of car accidents and the legal procedures involved.
When you are involved in a car accident, it is important to:
- Take Pictures of the Car Crash Scene.
- Get Contact Information from Witnesses.
- Keep Records of Injuries and Treatment.
- Collect Medical Bills.
- Do Not Discuss the Accident with Anyone Except Your Attorney.
- Report All Collisions to your Insurance Company Regardless of Fault.
In addition to the above, there may be other evidence you have that is important for your case.
Such evidence may include:
- Police Accident Reports - This report is created by law enforcement on the scene and will identify the parties involved, the time of the accident, weather conditions and other important information.
- Traffic Control Device Photos - For example, if you were hit by a car because it ran a red light or stop sign.
- Witness Statements and Contact information - If there are individuals who saw your accident and provided a statement to law enforcement or to you on the scene, they could be helpful to proving your case.
- Insurance Information - Your insurance policy should have identification and contact information for your carrier. Also, any other insurance that may cover you in the accident, such as a rental car agreement or homeowner’s or umbrella insurance should also be considered.
What happens at my first meeting with my New York Accident attorney?
At the first meeting you will speak with an attorney who can answer questions regarding your accident, injuries and treatment. During this time your case will be evaluated and at the conclusion of the meeting you should leave with an understanding of what to expect next, how long it may take for your case to settle or go to trial if necessary, and what compensation is available to you.
How will I pay for my lawyer?
Most lawyers offer a free initial consultation and meet with potential clients to discuss their case and answer questions. If you retain a lawyer in a personal injury case the lawyer will accept your case on a contingency fee basis, which is based on a percentage of the money that you receive as compensation for your accident. The fee is generally 1/3rd of any recovery, whether by a settlement or trial verdict. This means that if you win your case, your lawyer will be paid a percentage of your award. If you lose the case, you do not owe anything to your attorney.
How to protect yourself after a New York City car accident?
It is important to retain and speak to an attorney as soon as possible after an accident so that you do not say or do anything that could jeopardize your compensation.
It is also important not to enter into any conversations with car insurance company representatives following an accident. It’s not uncommon for an insurance company representative to call you and talk to you about a quick settlement - but they are not acting in your best interests. You must understand that you will be talking to a “loss adjustment" department when they call - these are the people whose job it is to try to minimize the amount of compensation paid out in the event of a car crash.
Your call with an insurance company will be recorded - and one slight mistake or incorrect recollection about what has happened could lead to your case being jeopardized or even thrown out completely. Don’t let an insurance company decide the outcome of your personal injury lawsuit.
What compensation do New York car accident victims get?
Like other situations of personal injury, injured victims in a car accident are eligible for fair compensation of their injuries. If another party’s negligent action or reckless behavior, caused or contributed to your injuries, you deserve to recover the maximum compensation available.
Liability and driver negligence:
Liability is a critical element of all personal injury matters including car accidents. Proving that another party is liable for your injuries is the first step in obtaining compensation for the injuries you suffered in any auto accident. The term “liability" basically means that another party was negligent, which is the legal term used to describe careless behavior.
When an accident occurs in New York City, state law applies regarding who is liable for your injuries. There are two basic types of compensation when it comes to car accidents:
‘Negligence’ and ‘no-fault’.
All persons involved in a car accident are entitled to receive their no-fault benefits regardless of “liability” or, who was at fault. That is why it is called “no-fault”.
To obtain compensation for your injuries, negligence of the other driver must be proven.
What happens if it was partially to blame?
If you were partially at fault for causing an accident, the damages you recover from the other party may be reduced by your percentage of fault. This is because New York law operates on a “comparative negligence" basis. So, if you are deemed to be 25% to blame for your accident, your compensation will be reduced by 25%.
A lot of people believe that being partially to blame will mean that they are not entitled to pursue any compensation. This is not the case. We’ll always fight hard to make sure you get the maximum possible payout.
Since 1980, the attorneys at Jaroslawicz & Jaros have been assisting personal injury victims in protecting their rights and obtaining the compensation they deserve.
Some Of Our Past Motor Vehicle Accident Verdicts and Settlements
- $8.3 Million settlement for a young woman who was a passenger and suffered a serious head injury in a two-car intersection collision.
- $6 Million verdict for a young man who suffered a leg injury when the driver of the car he was a passenger in lost control and hit a tree.
- $4.75 Million settlement for a woman who was struck by a car while crossing the street and suffered a head injury.
- $2.9 Million settlement for a young woman who suffered injuries when her car turned over in a car accident.
- $2.85 Million verdict for a woman who injured her neck and back in a car accident.
- $2.7 Million settlement for a young man who sustained a head injury in a car accident.
- $2.05 Million verdict in motor vehicle accident for a fractured leg and multiple surgeries.
- $2 Million settlement for a woman who injured her neck and back in a car accident.
- $1.5 Million settlement for a man who was hit by a bus while crossing the street and suffered an ankle injury.
- $1.2 Million settlement for a young woman who suffered head injuries while standing waiting to cross the street and was struck by a truck.
- $1.2 Million settlement for the estate of a motorcycle driver who was fatally injured in an intersection collision with a private ambulance that was responding to a call.
- $1.2 Million settlement for a young man who suffered a leg injury in an accident while riding his motorcycle.