Posted on: Jun 10 2016
By SELIM ALGAR | 12/30/2013 | New York Post
The Silver Gull Beach Club
Photo: Astrid Stawtarz for the New York Post
A Bay Ridge lifeguard who was hit with a massive electric shock in front of horrified swimmers at a Breezy Point pool over the summer is suing the public facility’s engineer for negligence.
Casey Lind, 17, was zapped at the popular Silver Gull Beach Club last July when she put her wet hand on a railing and then stepped on a charged metal plate outside the pool as she exited, according to her Brooklyn federal court suit.
Frozen by the electricity, the teen began shaking as stunned bystanders – many of them children – looked on.
A Good Samaritan quickly scooped up Lind and rushed her to a nearby hospital where she was treated for exposure to electrical currents, court papers state.
The Fontbonne Hall Academy senior still suffers neurological damage from the harrowing incident and can no longer participate in school athletics, the suit claims, and suffers from tremors, numbness, and decreased motor skills.
Her attorney, Elizabeth Eilender, told The Post Silver Gull brass rushed to get the facility back up to snuff last summer after it was ravaged by Superstorm Sandy.
“What they did was Herculean, but they didn’t do enough,” she said.
Lind and her family are suing the firm that handled much of the facility’s rehabilitation, KAR Engineering, for failing to ensure that the pool area was safe.
Eilender said that the overall operator of the beach club, JBAY LLC, has purposefully withheld information about the incident from them and told workers to clam up. “It’s outrageous,” Eilender said. “It’s disgusting.”
KAR and Ortega representatives did not immediately return calls and e-mails for comment.