What is the New York State Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation?

Written by
Abraham Jaros
Updated at Monday, Sep 11, 2023

Many people in New York City own neither cars nor car insurance. What happens when such a pedestrian gets into an accident with a hit-and-run driver? These accidents are distressingly common, despite the safety measures the city keeps attempting to enact. Does the claim get paid? Who pays it?

Fortunately New York has an answer to these questions: The New York State Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation.

MVAIC pays your claim when you can’t recover compensation from the driver.

How do you qualify for MVAIC?

To qualify for MVAIC:

  • The car accident needs to have taken place within the state of New York.
  • You must be a legal resident of the state.
  • Neither you nor anyone in your household may have car insurance.
  • Neither you nor your spouse may own the vehicle involved in the accident.
  • You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours, or as soon as reasonably possible in the event that you are unconscious or otherwise incapable.
  • You must report the accident, fill out the proper forms, and send proof of New York residency to MVAIC within 90 days of the accident.
  • You must file an affidavit stating who you live with, their names and relationship to you, and their car insurance if any. This must be notarized. If you live alone, the affidavit will state that you live alone.

An MVAIC claims examiner will begin working with you to resolve the case.

What does MVAIC pay?

MVAIC will pay up to $50,000 in no-fault benefits and will cover up to $25,000 for people injured in a crash. They’ll also pay up to $2,000 in lost wages.

Do you need a lawyer to get an MVAIC payment?

It’s a good idea to speak with a NYC car accident lawyer. MVAIC is like any other entity. They’d love to find reasons to avoid paying your claim. A lawyer can help you:

  • Ensure that you file the paperwork correctly and account for any variances, such as being unable to report the accident within 24 hours.
  • Ensure that all necessary evidence gets included with your claim at the time of filing.
  • Ensure that you get the full value of your claim, up to MVAIC limits.

A lawyer can also speak to the adjuster on your behalf, which prevents you from making mistakes that could weaken your claim overall.

In addition, if the driver is found you may need to switch to filing a claim against that driver or that driver’s insurance company, which will also require a lawyer’s help.

Injured? Contact our office to schedule a free case review today.

Abe Sitting
Abe Sitting Cut-off

Get the advice and guidance you and your family need

If you or a loved one has a been injured in an accident, contact us today for a free and confidential consultation. Call Jaroslawicz & Jaros in New York at 800.269.2780, or submit an online questionnaire. You can also email Abraham Jaros directly at ajaros@lawjaros.com, or call his personal cellphone at 917.842.9544.

Get the help you deserve.

Contact us today and start your free consultation. You can also text or call Abraham Jaros directly at 917.842.9544 or email him at ajaros@lawjaros.com.

Background picture of a courtroom

Helpful Videos

Awards & Recognitions

Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image
Badge Image