Call or email to schedule a FREE consultation.
Free transportation can be provided.

What can I do if I am injured by a hit and run driver?

Under a law that took effect in July 2016, the New York Police Department is required to compile statistics of hit and run accidents. This is part of the Mayor’s “Vision Zero” initiative aimed at making the city streets safer. Thus far, the results are not very promising: less than half of the motorists who fled deadly crashes this year have been arrested. In particular, there were 38 fatal hit and runs, but only 13 arrests.  In 22 other hit and run accidents involving serious personal injuries, only 14 offenders were arrested. The real shocker is the number of arrests in cases with minor injuries: 5,006 accidents led to merely 423 arrests, or 8 percent.

What are the legal duties of drivers at an accident scene?

In New York, motorists involved in accidents that result in injuries or death are required by law to stop immediately at the scene and wait until the police arrive They must also provide authorities with personal information such as their name, address, vehicle registration and insurance information. Even if the driver is not at fault, fleeing the scene of an accident is a violation of the law.

What should I do if I am the victim of a hit and run driver?

Being involved in a car accident can be an upsetting experience, and even more so if the other driver flees. It is crucial to call 911 or the police so that the other driver can be identified and arrested. As the recent report indicates, this is easier said than done. Obviously, it is difficult to obtain compensation in a hit and run accident. If the other driver is found, you can file a claim to recover damages. If an arrest is not made, you may be able to obtain compensation from your insurance carrier if you have uninsured motorist coverage.

The Takeaway

If you are injured in a hit and run accident, navigating the financial and emotional burden can be difficult. Don’t go it alone. By engaging the services of an experienced personal injury attorney, you can obtain meaningful compensation for your injuries.